Novel Analysis Essay
in a 3-4 page essay, respond to one of the following prompts:
- Super Sad True Love Story is a story about a relationship that falls apart; in fact, Eunice and Lenny breakup by the end of the novel. Write a paper where you argue who or what was responsible for their breakup. Is either one of them to blame; is this near-future imperial society in decline to blame?
- Technology is a major part of the story in Super Sad True Love Story. Some examples of technology discussed in the novel include the super smartphone “apparat,” smart blood biotechnology, and new forms of digital surveillance. Many read the future world here depicting technology in a very negative or dystopian way. Write a paper where you agree or disagree with the dystopian depiction of technology in the novel. Is the novel going too far or is it onto something in its critique of technology?
Approaches to consider:
- For both options, you may summarize the different perspectives (on “who’s to blame” or whether the depiction of tech is dystopian or not) and arrive at a conclusion which captures your overall position as long as you support this conclusion with reasons as well as textual evidence—that is, your “answer” to the question, your “conclusion,” should not be presented in one paragraph but several paragraphs which are supported with evidence from
- Think about what message the novel transmits to its audience about the future of these three interrelated aspects of contemporary life: technology, politics, and love?
- Specify what you will discuss in the introduction to your paper. In body paragraphs, please refer to specific examples and do discuss and analyze them in some detail. In conclusion, reflect on the significance of the novel as a social criticism.
Goals for this essay
A well-developed, well-organized, well-focused essay will include the following:
- An introduction which provides your reader with the necessary background information s/he will need in order to understand the topic of your essay.
- A clearly–stated thesis at the end of your introduction which presents your overall argument and which directly answers one of the essay prompt questions.
- Well-organized paragraphs containing topic sentences supported by details, explanation, and analysis.
- Evidence from Shteyngart’s text to support your argument.
- Correct use of MLA format for both parenthetical references to the text (quotations and paraphrase) as well as a Works Cited page at the end of your essay.
- A counter-argument (either as a separate paragraph or within several of your body paragraphs)
- Use of FANBOYS, subordinators, and noun phrase appositives to show relationships between ideas and to give variety and complexity to your sentences.
- Careful and thorough proofreading.
- 3 examples of correct use of parallel structure.