Criminal Justice Issue
For this assignment, you will submit your in-depth analysis of the contemporary criminal justice issue that you have selected. This analysis will identify factors contributing to the issue by examining the criminological theories behind it. Specifically, what criminological theory forms your understanding of the issue? Indicate the impact of this issue on the criminal justice system. For example, how does the issue impact law enforcement, the courts, and corrections? Address the negative impacts of the issue on the criminal justice system, the general public, and specific populations. Then, identify the strategies to influence change. Be sure to cite any data you have analyzed so far, data which you will rely upon to provide recommendations to your criminal justice issue in both the Module Six Short Paper and your Milestone Three submission in Module Seven.
Prompt: Specifically, the following critical elements must be addressed:
II. Issue Analysis
- Select a criminological theory that informs your understanding of the issue, justifying your selection.
- Identify factors contributing to the issue, justifying your identifications with the selected criminological theory. In other words, what are the
factors contributing to the issue? How is the identification of these factors supported by the selected theory?
- Describe how the issue impacts the criminal justice system, providing specific examples of how the branches of the criminal justice system are
affected by the issue. For example, how does the issue impact law enforcement, the courts, and corrections?
- Describe how the issue impacts the general public, providing specific examples. Does the issue affect specific populations?
- Determine the key stakeholders of the issue, identifying both the key people impacted by the issue, as well as those with the power to influence
change. Justify your selections.
- Describe strategies that are currently employed to address the issue. These strategies may be used in the community with the issue, or in a
different community with the same issue.
- Assess the effectiveness of the previously identified strategies in addressing the issue, justifying your assessment. How effectively do the
strategies combat the issue, and where are there gaps?
- How does your previous assessment impact the specific branches of the criminal justice system? Justify your response. In which branches are
the strategies most and least effective?
Your submission should include reference to recent peer-reviewed articles, be at least 2 pages in length (in addition to title and reference pages) and should use double spacing, 12-point Times New Roman font, and one-inch margins. Use APA style to cite your sources within the text of your paper and on the reference page.