Business Ethics And Society
In this module, we explored business, government, and society as an interrelated system made up of primary and secondary stakeholders. In additional to stakeholder forces, we also introduced some of the broader forces influencing this system. In this assignment, you will demonstrate your understanding of stakeholder relationships and influences (including that of government and the media) on industry and public issues.
This assignment will comprise 15% of your total course mark. Part A is a case study involving an important public issue regarding the environment, and Part B is a report on public issues relating to the tobacco industry. Each question carries the marks as stated for a total of 100 marks.
Part A: Instructions
Read Discussion Case: Coca-Cola’s Water Neutrality Initiative on pages 43 and 44 of your textbook.
- Question 1: Describe the “performance-expectations gap” evident in this case – what were the stakeholders’ concerns and how did their expectations differ from the company’s performance? (15 marks)
- Question 2: If you applied the strategic radar screens model to this case, which of the eight environments would be most significant? Support your position. (5 marks)
- Question 3: In your opinion, did TCCC respond appropriately to this public issue? Why or why not. (10 marks)
- Part B: Instructions
The tobacco industry is constantly in the media. Choose one or more public issue(s) relating to the tobacco industry (banning of smoking in public places, secondary smoke health issues, controls on tobacco advertising and corporate sponsorship, youth or women as a tobacco industry target markets, etc.) Write a 2,500-word, double-spaced report containing the following:
- Section 1. Context: Introduce the issue(s) you have selected and list primary and secondary stakeholders influencing or influenced by this issue(s). Be specific in naming individuals, groups, associations, and/or government bodies and describe these stakeholders’ roles. (15 marks)
- Section 2. What does this mean to my family?: Identify your own stakeholder role(s) in relation to the tobacco industry and cigarette smoking in our society. Describe the biases, perspectives, or experiences that may influence your position on this public issue. (10 marks)
There is no right or wrong perspective, but it is important to recognize your own stakeholder positions and how they influence your perspectives.
- Section 3. What does this mean to my company?: Imagine yourself as a tobacco industry executive and describe management of the public issue(s) from this perspective. (15 marks)
- Section 4. What does this mean to my country?: Discuss the role(s) of government in this issue(s) and how it is influencing both the industry and the public. (15 marks)
- Section 5. Media impact: Describe the media’s role in this issue(s) and the perspective it is presenting to the public. Discuss industry-sponsored media communications, as well as government communications and reporting in the popular press. Cite specific examples, using references. (15 marks)
When completing your assignments, please note that the proper acknowledgement of sources is an important part of any academic paper.
The writing required for MNGT entails consulting sources of material beyond the material included in the course. Remember, when including ideas or findings that are not original to you—that depend upon or refer to the ideas, concepts, or research of other people—you must use citations and include a reference list. This course uses APA citation style. See the APA Style website at www.apastyle.org and/or the OWL Purdue Online Writing Lab at http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/ for the 6th edition of APA style.