Analyzing Childrens Cognitive Development Assignment
Prior to beginning work on this discussion,
- Read Chapter 6: Cognitive Development: Piagetian, Core Knowledge, and Vygotskian Perspectives
- Read Chapter 7: Cognitive Development: An Information-Processing Perspective
- Complete the Analyzing Children’s Cognitive Development Pre-Activity
- Complete the Cognitive Development Self-Check
- Watch the VLS video: Cognitive Development: Infant Block Play (Links to an external site.) (Virtual Lab School, n.d.).
As presented in your text, there are several perspectives that attempt to explain how learning occurs; but regardless of the theoretical perspective, cognitive development is highly dependent on experiences for development. You have been assigned by the Analyzing Children’s Cognitive Development Pre-Activity to one theoretical perspective of cognitive development: Piagetian, Vygotskian, or information-processing.
In your discussion post,
- Provide a brief analysis of the behaviors you observed in the Cognitive Development: Infant Block Play (Links to an external site.) video based on the theoretical perspective to which you’ve been assigned. Refer to the table below for some of the key ideas or terms that are associated with each perspective. These should be included in your initial post.
- Propose at least two strategies or activities that could be used to support the development and is consistent with the theoretical perspective to which you were assigned.
- Discuss how you can involve the children’s family or community to extend the learning for one of the strategies you proposed above.
Key Ideas or Terms
schemata, assimilation, accommodation, equilibrium
private speech, scaffolding, intersubjectivity, the zone of proximal development
attention, short and long-term memory, information storage and retrieval, metacognitive knowledge, cognitive self-regulation. Get College Homework Help today