HDF 110- “Philadelphia” Movie Assignment (30 points)
You will watch the movie, “Philadelphia” (1993.) It is available at the following sites: Amazon Prime, Google Play, Starz and YouTube. The rental fee should not be much more than $3.99. You will choose any six (6) of the following nine questions and answer each with a minimum ½ page response (12 point font, double-spaced, typed) Each question and answer is worth 5 points, for a total of 30 points.
1. Given that the movie “Philadelphia” was made 25 years ago, how do you believe that things have changed since that time? Are the topics still as relevant today? How and why?
2. Which do you believe was the biggest reason that Andrew was fired, being gay or having AIDS? If the partners would have simply found out that he was gay, do you believe they would have still set him up and fired him? Give examples from the movie to support your opinion.
3. Following Joe’s passionate statement about the effects of homophobia, the Judge made a statement, “…The Courtroom is blind to matters race, gender…….and sexual orientation” and Joe responds, “Yes, but we don’t live in this courtroom.” Explain the significance of this. Can the courtroom really be totally immune from the many “isms” we have discussed? Why or why not?
4. Consider Andrew in terms of the “Matrix of Oppression”…Although he was gay, he was part of several other privileged groups. Which groups do you believe had the biggest impact on Andrew’s life? Give examples.
5. What do you believe were the main turning points for Joe Miller in terms of his reconsidering his attitude about Gay people? While he clearly grew in terms of his own views, do you believe this growth was directly only towards his relationship with Andy or do you believe he would be less homophobic in general?
6. Do you believe that seeing this movie would have a positive impact on somebody who is very homophobic or heterosexist? Why or Why not? How? What do you believe were the most powerful parts in the movie that would likely make somebody rethink their homophobic or heterosexist views?
7. In terms of the “resiliency characteristics” we discussed in class, do you believe that Andrew was a resilient character or not? Give examples of why or why not you believe this based on your analysis of the four characteristics.
8. Analyze the influence of heterosexism or homophobia on Andrew’s life from Bronfenbrenner’s systemic perspective by giving examples of instances of homophobia or heterosexism in Andrew’s micro, meso,exo or macrosystem.
9. Identify the ways in which Power(discuss at least three specific examples out of French and Raven’s six bases of power) play a role in the movie and how it furthers prejudice and oppression towards the LGBT community.
The post Analyze the influence of heterosexism or homophobia on Andrew’s life from Bronfenbrenner’s systemic perspective by giving examples of instances of homophobia or heterosexism in Andrew’s micro, meso,exo or macrosystem. appeared first on Essay Quoll.
Why Choose HelpHub
Quality Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account.
On Time Delivery
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. We will always strive to deliver on time.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text.
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
HelpHub Writing Services
No need to work on essay at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of essay writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied.